Here’s a list of organizations that are mobilizing to help immigrant children at the southern border-with links to donation pages they operate.
1. American Gateways provides legal services and representation to detained parents. It’s currently seeking volunteers to represent detained parents and is accepting donations.
2. Asylum Seekers’ Advocacy
3. American Immigration Lawyers Association –CARA Family Detention Project (update at Sep 6 , 2018) The CARA Project is currently recruiting attorneys, law students and paralegals with experience in asylum work. The group asks volunteers to be fluent in Spanish or willing to work with an interpreter.
American Immigration Lawyers Association
Suite 300, 1331 G Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005-3142
4. Annunciation House is helping serve immigrants and refugees in El Paso. The organization is accepting donations here:
5. Baker Ripley’s team of immigration attorneys are providing representation to detained families seeking asylum as well as working to reunite children and parents.
DONATIONS PAGE https://www.bakerripley.org/get-involved/donate
6. Catholic Charities–Rio Grande Valley
SAN JUAN OFFICE
700 N. Virgen de San Juan Blvd.
P. O. Box 1306
San Juan, TX 78589
phone: 956-702-4088 fax: 956-782-0418
955 W. Price Rd.
Brownsville, TX 78520
phone: 956-541-0220 fax: 956-544-7580
7. Circle of Health International has staffed a clinic caring for refugees and asylum seekers immediately upon their their release. Their McAllen clinic is currently seeing upwards of 100 patients a day.
8. Comfort Cases is raising money to provide backpacks to the separated immigrant children. Each case will contain items such as blankets, pajamas, toiletries, a stuffed animal, a book, a journal and art supplies.
9. Diocesan Migrant & Refugee Services is the largest provider of free and low cost immigration services in West Texas and says it’s the only organization in El Paso serving unaccompanied children.
11. Kids in Need of Defense
12. Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center (El Paso-based ) provides legal representation to immigrants who might not be able to afford it otherwise. It’s accepting volunteers and donations.. http://las-americas.org/
http://las-americas.org/ Has Donate Button at top right on page.
T: (915) 544-5126 F: (915) 544-4041
13. Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service is raising money to provide immigrant children “immediate shelter and beds, medical services, counseling and therapy to help them deal with the trauma of family separation.”
14. RAICES Texas
15) South Texas Pro Bono Asylum Representation Project (ProBAR)
16. Tahirih Justice Center is providing free legal and social services to immigrant women and girls fleeing gender-based violence.
17. Together Rising is collecting money that’ll go to advocacy groups that are working to reunify immigrant children with their families.
18. The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights is looking for more child advocates to visit the immigrant kids inside the detention centers weekly and accompany them to immigration proceedings. It is also raising money for advocates who will deal specifically with family separation cases.
DONATE button https://www.theyoungcenter.org/donate-to-the-young-center/
The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights
6020 South University Avenue,
Chicago, IL 60637,